INIKA at John Lewis (And The Chemicals You Need To Steer Clear Of!)
A few days ago, I attended a small event with INIKA Cosmetics, a halal, vegan and organic certified cosmetics brand where founder Miranda Bond gave a presentation on INIKA and the chemicals found in so many of our cosmetics. We also got to watch a makeover using their new Fairground collection.
If I’m honest, I’m not too clued up on the harmful chemicals in the cosmetics that I use, and I wasn’t bothered about finding out until Miranda’s presentation which opened my eyes as to how bad of an effect cosmetics can have on our health. Will I immediately bin my favourite products and become an eco-glam warrior? No, but I’ll be sure to make conscious decisions when purchasing products from now.
- Aluminum – Linked to Alzheimer’s Disease
- Diethanolamine (DEA), Cocamide DEA, Lauramide DEA – Skin and eye irritant.
- Fluoride– Known carcinogen and may cause damage to bones and organs. Linked to convulsions, changes in liver, kidneys and respiratory functions.
- Formaldehyde – Known to cause eye, nose and throat irritation, asthma attacks, nausea, vomiting, skin rashes, headaches, dizziness, and severe weakening of the immune system.
- Coal Tar– Known carcinogen that may lead to lung, scrotum and skin cancer.
- Propylene Glycol – Accumulates in the heart, liver and kidneys causing abnormalities and damage as well as a weakend immune system
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) – Weakened immune system and organ damage.
- Talc– Known carcinogen linked to ovarian cancer and respiratory illness.
- Toluene – Suspected carcinogen.
- Peg – Know carcinogen.