Apparently we’re exposed to up to 3000 advertisements per day; on our commutes, TV, the radio, the Internet and now Facebook. As a business student, I’ve spent a fair amount of time studying marketing and I’ve studied the science behind reasons why people purchase things and one theory is the Self-Perception Theory which essentially highlights that some consumers purchase products because of how they perceive themselves and many beauty brands advertise their products by preying on the insecurities of women. According to Dove, only 4% of women believe that they’re beautiful which makes it easy for brands to target the other 96% with their advertisements.
With the Dove app, you choose a message you’d like to send to people and it could range from ‘every body is beautiful‘ to ‘think of your cups as half full‘ depending on various topics such as careers, travel and love. I tested the app for myself and it worked wonderfully and I love how the app tells you the number of people the message will reach. It’s a ripple effect where the smallest of actions creates a big effect. Dove’s goal was to reach 6 million women but they’ve excelled that and reached more that 110 million women!
Watch the video to find out a bit more about the Dove app and check it out for yourself and send positive vibes to other women here.